Communicating organisational change in a high street retailer
An organisational re-structure meant that two Teams (2500 people) would be joining together to form one organisation. This incorporated, call centre and frontline sales staff. There was a need to create a one ‘team ethos’.
Following a number of consultations, objectives were agreed for a Team Leader event:
- To inspire and motivate team leaders to embrace the new joint business challenges
- To create a greater understanding and ownership of their role and responsibilities in creating success for the business
- To develop a ‘one team’ ethos
- To improve communication between the Senior team and the broader management team, enabling an effective cascade of key messages
The event was delivered to 4 groups of 50 Team Leaders and incorporated:
A celebration of success stories, swapping these between teams
- Communicating the vision
- Analysis of how they and their teams were performing against the vision
- An exploration of the organisational and individual barriers which may prevent them from achieving the vision, and how to overcome these
- An energetic, passionate team exercise involving everyone to create something more powerful and a memorable experience for all delegates
- Introduction and understanding of the management tools available to help with the challenges of leading their teams and communicating the vision
- Development of an action plan to be implemented when they return to the workplace, highlighting the importance of fulfilling personal commitments
These 200 leaders subsequently communicated the messages with enthusiasm, commitment and a real passion for their teams to achieve. This was linked to their performance plans, which also incorporated the use of the management tools, and measured the success through feedback from employees.